Compooter problems

There is a guy who has decided that he likes to sit next to me during my Monday class, because he likes to look over my shoulder at what I’m doing on my computer. I know this because he told me so, straight up: “I’m sitting next to you from now on and watching your computer!”

What do you say to that? And what do you say when you are reading your LJ friends page during a boring part of the class and you realize that he is avidly reading it too? I know what you do – you stop going to LJ to protect your friends’ privacy. Stupid boy.

Yesterday during the break I was sitting on a desk in the middle of the classroom, chatting with a friend of mine in the class when suddenly he said, “Don’t look!”

I turned around and saw that he had spilt his mocha onto his desk and mine … and my computer.

He kept saying, “I’m sorry! I’m sorry!” as he frantically wiped it up with his sleeve. I had picked up my computer and was hugging it to my chest as my friend wiped down the back of it with a paper towel. The other guy I sit next to offered to let me punch him in the face if it would make me feel better, which made me giggle and calm down a little bit. And he offered to give me his brand new laptop if mine stopped working. Maybe the look on my face was making him nervous? *lol*

I turned to Mr Nosy-And-Spills-His-Drinks and said, “You’re not allowed to sit next to me anymore.”

He laughed weakly.

I said, “I’m not kidding,” and didn’t speak to him for the rest of the class.

I mean, really. There’s a reason why I bring my water and my coffee in spill-proof containers. There’s a reason that I am extremely careful about what people put down next to my computer. There’s a reason why my computer never leaves my sight, unless I’m using the washroom and even then it sometimes gets carted in there with me. It’s because it was really expensive, and it has all my stuff on it.

All this has made me realize that I need a back up system. A flash drive? A zip drive? An external hard drive? I don’t know the difference between them all, but I want something that can hold all my Word docs and my music, just in case something were to happen to permanently damage my laptop. Anyone have any ideas about what to get, where to go, and how much it’s gonna cost me?

This entry was posted in the everyday and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Compooter problems

1. arwenoid says:

flash: unlikely to be big enough, unless you only want to save a few gigs.
    external harddrive: overkill
    zip: generally what it’s intended for, but also often overkill

What I usually do? Burn a couple of CDs. Now that my laptop has a dvd burner, I’ll be doing that instead. 🙂

If you’ve got a ton of stuff you want to backup, or if you want to do daily backups, go with a zip. But if you’re just doing a once or twice a month routine, I’d just burn a dvd. 🙂

You are my computer expert and I love you!

PS. I’m up to Season 6 of Sex and the City. I can’t wait for the Big and Carrie reunion.

• dekucat says:

I would burn a DVD with everything periodically (say monthly), and also have a flash drive to update word docs more regularly, as they are itty-bitty and will fit just fine on it. I’m assuming the word docs need to be backed up more often than the music, if you’re working on papers etc.

crap.I need to backup my computer, especially with all the lovely new, er, movies I downloaded on my laptop last night.

• arwenoid says:

oh, my little secret “backup while working on a paper method”: I email it to myself. Before I used gmail, I’d just email it to my work account. Now that I use gmail, I email it to myself and everything is happily stored on gmail’s server. 😀

Also handy for accessing from other computers.

a flash drive would work pretty much the same way, although with email, I don’t actually have to get up and find it. terribly lazy, I am.

• dekucat says:

Heh, I do that too with dirty dirty hotmail, except I like the flash drive better because it’s cuter. I also like having a backup I control, since I’m anal that way. And it’s portable, so you can carry it with you everywhere and insert into any puter! ooohohhohohoh, insertable flash drive.

That is brilliant! I have a gmail account that I barely use, so perhaps I will create a school folder and stock it up. Yay!

Just thought of this question, computer guru …

If I want to store my music, wouldn’t it have to be on something like a zip drive? Or do dvds have more storage capacity than regular cds? I have about 4 gigs of music at the moment and it’s only going to grow.

• arwenoid says:

Re: Just thought of this question, computer guru …

DVD’s hold way, way more data than CD’s … and zip drives. Zip drives are usually a couple hundred megs each (even CD’s hold more than zip drives, which is why they’re not overly popular anymore) whereas DVD’s hold up to 8.5gb each.