I have a date

I was talking to my friend Mike on the phone and I said, “I have a date-”

“Really? With who?” he interrupted.

“-for my surgery,” I finished.

Me? Go on dates? I laugh!

The good news is that I finally have a date for getting the ol’ knee fixed. The bad news is that it is almost 2 months later than I had hoped. February 26th I will be sliced open have microscopic holes drilled into me and things done. I’m not really all that sure exactly what will be done, but hopefully by the end of it I will be almost as good as new.

One of the things I am most excited about doing once I am healed is taking shelter dogs for walks. Right now I am too worried that one will pull me off balance and cause me to do further injury, so I limit myself to just giving (and receiving!) lovings from the doggies. I suppose that my recovery will coincide nicely with the nicer weather and will give me a reason to go for walks and continue my rehab.

The only silver lining to having my surgery at the end of February rather than the beginning of January as I had expected is that I now have three months to get my ass to physio and gain some strength back in my muscles. The recovery rate is much quicker if one is strong in body going into the surgery, but I’ve been lazy about making an appointment.

In other health news, I am considering the possibility of getting a light box, as my doctor suggested I may have SAD. It makes sense – December is always my most apathetic month, where doing anything other than sleeping and more sleeping takes much more energy than I seem to have. If I can positively affect this by sitting in front of a light for half an hour a day, rather than upping my medication, it would be a good thing.

This entry was posted in feminism, the everyday and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to I have a date

1. BamaGal says:

Don’t forget the vitamin D supplement too—I take 10,000 ius a day—WLS adds the increased amount

but check out the vitamin D council website for info on how much you might need daily

2. Rachel says:

My dad has one of those lights, and he finds that it helps.

3. Lisa says:

or it could be that December is Christmas which is supposed to be a joyous wonderful family time, but maybe you don’t have that feeling towards your family? at lot of people in my group experienced that December was a tough month too (as well as me)

4. erin says:

Hmm maybe. My family do drive me up the wall quite frequently, but I’m not sure that it is to the extent of making it hard to get out of bed. Something to ponder, though.

5. Nicole says:

Make sure if you start taking vitamin D supplements that you only take up to 400 units at one time, your body is only able to absorb that much at one time and will expel the excess. I try to take a female-oriented multivitamin in the morning, and then vitamin D at lunch and dinner. It adds up to 10000 total.

I was in Psych 100 when the prof asked us to take a quiz to help out his research students. According to the test, I have mild SADS… although it is not a diagnosis by any means and I don’t feel like I would need a diagnosis. They called me to ask if I would participate in a study which I did and at the end of it they said I came out at the light end of the spectrum.

I most definitely lack motivation to go outdoors once daylight savings time changes to winter time, and I sleep MUCH heavier and much longer.

In any case the vitamin D is a great idea, I’m scared to death of developing Multiple Sclerosis or having a child with Autism, both have higher rates in populations living in geographical locations that lack sufficient sunlight.

Hope you feel better!!!