Maia

The weird lump/scab thing came back on Maia’s neck so I took her back to the vet yesterday. This time I made an appointment with our vet though. Her name is Catherine and she is fantastic. She listened to everything I had to say about the history of Maia’s allergies over the past two years and then did a body inspection. When I told her that Maia has dropped 8 lbs since April and that her coat feels coarser she agreed that doing a blood panel was the right thing. She also suggested doing a urinalysis as high levels of protein in urine can be a symptom of bad things that won’t necessarily show up in the blood panel.

I told her that I wanted the lump thing biopsied and after doing a scraping and checking for cancer cells (no sign!) she cautioned me that the biopsy may come back just saying β€˜local infection’. She completely understands my need to *know* though.

We gave Maia a shot of sedation and I sat on the floor with her as she slipped under. We carried her into the back and Catherine showed me all the places on Maia’s belly and armpits and between her toes where the allergy is presenting. It’s quite subtle but now that I’ve seen it closely I’ll recognize it again.

Catherine said, β€˜You probably don’t want to watch me cut your dog,’ but when I said no I’d rather stay, she had no problem with it. So I got to stay and keep my hand on Maia and reassure myself that she was continuing to breath. (Sometimes they hold their breath under sedation.) Catherine cut out two sections for biopsy as there was a second lumpy thing about an inch from the first.

Taking blood was easier than the last time we tried! Sedation can be wonderful. We collected enough for the blood panel and I opted to send some off for an allergy test as well. If I decide to do allergy shots in future we’ll need to know exactly what she is allergic to.

My poor girlie has two sets of stitches and they are in the *most* awkward place, right under where her collar sits. She has two weeks worth of antibiotics plus a leave in conditioner, and I’m giving her Reactine again (which is what helped her allergies in the past).

Before I went to bed last night I tried putting a t-shirt on her but it didn’t cover the stitches. I put a sock on her foot but she pulled it off. I barely slept all night because I woke up every time she moved to make sure she wasn’t scratching. I woke up at 4 am after five hours of sleep which seems to be my new pattern (which SUCKS) and couldn’t get back to sleep. I tossed and turned and then at 4:30 I had an anxiety attack :(. As I was lying in bed I got a ball of anxiety in the middle of my chest, my heart rate sped up, and it got hard to breathe. Always always in the past my bed has been my haven when I had anxiety. To have an attack while in bed made me feel even more anxious.

In good news Maia has been quite her usual self today after being sedated. She’s eaten all her meals and done her business. She has been even more cuddly than usual.

She did pull out one stitch out at some point in the night but I put a raincoat on her while I was at work today and that seems to have protected the area from scratching.

Now it’s the waiting game to hear back about the results. πŸ™

45 Responses to Maia

1. ichbinkelsey says:

Poor Maia! I am crossing my fingers that it’s no big deal, and wishing you lots of good emotional strength, E.

2. ichbinkelsey says:

3. ichbinkelsey says:

4. ichbinkelsey says:

5. ichbinkelsey says:

6. ichbinkelsey says:

7. ichbinkelsey says:

8. ichbinkelsey says:

9. ichbinkelsey says:

Really hoping the results are no big deal! I think it was a good idea to biopsy it just to know. Also, kudos to you for staying with her while she was under! After years of watching vets perform surgeries nothing really bothers me (even on my own dogs) anymore. Except eye stuff… can’t handle the eyes.