Memory

I can hear the trains tonight, sounding their whistles at every crossing. The sound reminds me of camping with my dad as a child, camping by the train tracks in the interior and listening to them all night long. If I close my eyes I can be there, warm in my sleeping bag on my Thermarest, the cold air on my face, the smell of campfire in my hair and on my clothes. And the trains rushing past, their whistles echoing through the valley.

This entry was posted in the everyday. Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to Memory

I love memories like this! How a sound can take you back to a moment in your life that you forget about day-to-day.

10. nutmeg3 says:

What a beautiful and evocative prose poem. I felt as if I were there.

11. nutmeg3 says:

What a beautiful and evocative prose poem. I felt as if I were there.

12. nutmeg3 says:

What a beautiful and evocative prose poem. I felt as if I were there.

13. nutmeg3 says:

What a beautiful and evocative prose poem. I felt as if I were there.

14. nutmeg3 says:

What a beautiful and evocative prose poem. I felt as if I were there.

15. nutmeg3 says:

What a beautiful and evocative prose poem. I felt as if I were there.

16. nutmeg3 says:

What a beautiful and evocative prose poem. I felt as if I were there.

17. nutmeg3 says:

What a beautiful and evocative prose poem. I felt as if I were there.

18. nutmeg3 says:

What a beautiful and evocative prose poem. I felt as if I were there.

19. slobberpuppy says:

I get wistful memories with the sound of far-off trains as well… There is just something about them that pulls it out of you.

20. slobberpuppy says:

21. slobberpuppy says:

22. slobberpuppy says:

23. slobberpuppy says:

24. slobberpuppy says:

25. slobberpuppy says:

26. slobberpuppy says:

27. slobberpuppy says:

28. What a wonderful memory. I’ve always loved hearing the train go by in the night and it’s something I’ve associated with almost every place I’ve lived. It makes me happy.

29. What a wonderful memory. I’ve always loved hearing the train go by in the night and it’s something I’ve associated with almost every place I’ve lived. It makes me happy.

30. What a wonderful memory. I’ve always loved hearing the train go by in the night and it’s something I’ve associated with almost every place I’ve lived. It makes me happy.

31. What a wonderful memory. I’ve always loved hearing the train go by in the night and it’s something I’ve associated with almost every place I’ve lived. It makes me happy.

32. What a wonderful memory. I’ve always loved hearing the train go by in the night and it’s something I’ve associated with almost every place I’ve lived. It makes me happy.

33. What a wonderful memory. I’ve always loved hearing the train go by in the night and it’s something I’ve associated with almost every place I’ve lived. It makes me happy.

34. What a wonderful memory. I’ve always loved hearing the train go by in the night and it’s something I’ve associated with almost every place I’ve lived. It makes me happy.

35. What a wonderful memory. I’ve always loved hearing the train go by in the night and it’s something I’ve associated with almost every place I’ve lived. It makes me happy.

36. What a wonderful memory. I’ve always loved hearing the train go by in the night and it’s something I’ve associated with almost every place I’ve lived. It makes me happy.