Maia’s Mysterious Malaise

For those of you not on my facebook, I had a visit with the vet today to go over Maia’s results.

The very good news is that her blood work and urinalysis show her to be in excellent health. The not good but not unexpected news is that she is extremely allergic to mites. As in, anything on the test over 60 is considered allergic and her scores for the different types of mites were well over 1000.

This means she’s a good candidate for allergy shots, and Dr Stuart has sent off the requisition but the kit won’t arrive for 3-4 weeks. In the mean time she is going on a cortizone/steroid med to try to get her itchiness down. I will be changing my furnace filter every month that it is turned on. I am getting rid of the area rug and any dog beds that cannot be completely washed. I will be vacuuming a LOT. And hopefully all these things, in conjunction with the allergy shots, will get this under control.

The good thing is that she doesn’t tend to display any allergic reaction in the spring and summer, so we’re thinking that the outbreaks in November each year has coincided with the furnace being turned on. My mum has offered to pay to have my vents cleaned, which will be a couple hundred dollars and is very generous of her. And a girlfriend of mine mentioned something about filters that can be installed just inside the vents, so I’m going to look into that too.

Has anyone ever had a dog with dust mite allergies? Any tips or tricks?

45 Responses to Maia’s Mysterious Malaise

1. recreatexme says:

Not my dogs, but when I was young I had severe dust mite allergies. Adding filters helped a lot and we also had hardwood floors put in. Putting an allergy cover on my bed helped too. Poor girl!

I already have laminate throughout the house. I had all the carpet ripped up when I moved in 3 years ago. An allergy cover for the bed sounds good – another thing to research!

2. recreatexme says:

3. recreatexme says:

4. recreatexme says:

5. recreatexme says:

6. recreatexme says:

7. recreatexme says:

8. recreatexme says:

9. recreatexme says:

10. nutmeg3 says:

I don’t have any suggestions or experience, but it’s great that at least you know what it is and the vet’s got ideas for dealing with it. Good luck.

11. nutmeg3 says:

12. nutmeg3 says:

13. nutmeg3 says:

14. nutmeg3 says:

15. nutmeg3 says:

16. nutmeg3 says:

17. nutmeg3 says:

18. nutmeg3 says:

Wow! Poor girl! Though, thankfully it’s a better result than cancer!

I am also going to check into allergy covers for my bed! Who knew?!

Wow! Poor girl! Though, thankfully it’s a better result than cancer!

I am also going to check into allergy covers for my bed! Who knew?!

Wow! Poor girl! Though, thankfully it’s a better result than cancer!

I am also going to check into allergy covers for my bed! Who knew?!

Wow! Poor girl! Though, thankfully it’s a better result than cancer!

I am also going to check into allergy covers for my bed! Who knew?!

Wow! Poor girl! Though, thankfully it’s a better result than cancer!

I am also going to check into allergy covers for my bed! Who knew?!

Wow! Poor girl! Though, thankfully it’s a better result than cancer!

I am also going to check into allergy covers for my bed! Who knew?!

Wow! Poor girl! Though, thankfully it’s a better result than cancer!

I am also going to check into allergy covers for my bed! Who knew?!

Wow! Poor girl! Though, thankfully it’s a better result than cancer!

I am also going to check into allergy covers for my bed! Who knew?!

Wow! Poor girl! Though, thankfully it’s a better result than cancer!

I am also going to check into allergy covers for my bed! Who knew?!