Adventure and then some

I drove to Eugene on Wednesday to see Boss. It was just for one night but was totally worth it. We just passed our two year β€˜sexiversary’ (if you watch The League [and you should – it’s hilarious] you’ll understand why we call it that) and things are going really well. I finally feel comfortable and secure again. (A bunch of stuff happened before I came back to LJ that nearly ended us.)

I left Eugene yesterday about 11:45 because I wanted to be home in good time. I was in driving mode, there wasn’t too much traffic, and everything seemed to be going according to plan.

I was waiting to turn back onto the I-5 after a break and suddenly there was a thwappy-thwappy sound coming from the engine. Then my power steering seemed to go and I had to crank the wheel. Then the battery and engine lights both came on and the temperature of the engine rose to the very top of the gauge.

I managed to limp the car to the next exit which was a rest stop. I called AAA but because I don’t have an account they couldn’t help me. They did give me the number for a local tow company, who came to get me and towed me to a nearby garage. By this time it was about 5:20 and the garage closed at 5:30 so I had to leave it there overnight.

I got a cab to a hotel down the street and booked in to the Best Western. As soon as I was in my room I called my dad. I’m 34 years old but sometimes a kid just needs their parents :(. I needed to know that I wasn’t alone and that people who love me knew where I was.

Then I had to call work and explain I wouldn’t be there for my shift on Friday. Thankfully I got transferred to one of the nicest supervisors who was very understanding that these things happen.

And then I had nothing else to do with my evening but get some fast food and lie on the bed and watch tv. Yay for wifi being standard now because I was able to connect with Hailey as she went back to my house for another night to look after the dogs. I asked her to send me a photo of them because I was finally not on the edge of a panic attack and I just needed to see them.

And now it is the next morning and I just got a call from the mechanic. My serpentine belt is shredded which means the water pump wasn’t circulating and that caused the engine to overheat. He can’t see any problem with my coolant system at all. He’s going to replace the belt and then run the engine to make sure. He’s quoted me around $230 which is so much less than I was expecting!

Now I’m going to go take advantage of the full cooked breakfast that is included at the hotel.

What an adventure.

This entry was posted in the everyday. Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Adventure and then some

1. ichbinkelsey says:

E! That is awful! I’m so glad you’re safe and that it’s cheaper than you were thinking, though.

Thanks. I only wish it had happened in Eugene so I could have spent the extra night with Boss, but staying in a hotel with an entire bed to myself and no dog hair or sand in the sheets was pretty fabulous πŸ˜€

2. ichbinkelsey says:

3. ichbinkelsey says:

4. ichbinkelsey says:

5. ichbinkelsey says:

6. ichbinkelsey says:

7. ichbinkelsey says:

8. ichbinkelsey says:

9. ichbinkelsey says:

Oh geez! Well, I’m glad that everything is sorted out. I think the worst thing would be not seeing my dogs!

Good that things are patched up with the Boss. πŸ™‚