Voting and feeling connected

I have spent the better part of today reading the platforms of the candidates running for mayor and councillor in my municipal election. The last one was in 2011 and while I was living in Maple Ridge then, I didn't take the time to learn anything about the candidates and therefore I didn't vote. It is the one and only time I haven't voted, in any election, since I became eligible.

I started with the women nominees because I decided that women whom I liked would get precedent over men that I liked. Considering that there are 26 nominees and only 6 of those are women (and there are no POC at all) I thought it was the best way to get some diversity out of the choices. I now have 2 women and 5 men picked out but I can only vote for 6 to become councillors.

The past year or so I realized that I have become very attached to Maple Ridge, and I don't want to move anywhere else. I had originally planned to stay in my townhouse for five years and then move to a house in Mission. The real estate is cheaper in Mission but it does not have the dykes that I love, and it would add at least another 25 minutes on to my commute (assuming I get to stay in this position once the year contract is up). Reading the platforms and seeing what different people's visions are for Maple Ridge has solidified for me that this community is home.

I may even start reading the local newspaper!

This entry was posted in the everyday and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Voting and feeling connected

1. Hooray for home and connection! <3 I think it’s great you found a place to call home.

2. Hooray for home and connection! <3 I think it’s great you found a place to call home.

3. Hooray for home and connection! <3 I think it’s great you found a place to call home.

4. Hooray for home and connection! <3 I think it’s great you found a place to call home.

5. Hooray for home and connection! <3 I think it’s great you found a place to call home.

6. Hooray for home and connection! <3 I think it’s great you found a place to call home.

7. Hooray for home and connection! <3 I think it’s great you found a place to call home.

8. Hooray for home and connection! <3 I think it’s great you found a place to call home.

9. Hooray for home and connection! <3 I think it’s great you found a place to call home.

Wow! That’s a lot of nominees. It makes me happy to hear that people are taking the time to learn about candidates. I think this is more true for our generation that, say, older ones. They seem to stick to a party and just vote for them regardless. But really, we all should be INFORMED when picking who is going to be making decisions for us as a country.

Home is just where you should be, wherever that is. I think it can change based on experiences, but there is always this place that your heart just…aches for. I vote to stay wherever that may be. 🙂